12.22.2007

Review: Flying Dog K-9 Winter Ale

Flying Dog K-9 Winter Ale
The psycho in the pack … K-9 Cruiser is a dark, sweet and malty winter warmer that will captivate any adventurous craft brew drinker. A true Flying Dog original, K-9 Cruiser is the perfect brew to warm you up in those cold winter months.

This is the winter seasonal from Flying Dog, I picked it up when I saw it at Subs&Suds since I like to try every new beer I come across and I'm in a big winter beer swing lately, naturally.

This beer pours a dark red-drown with a decent cap of head that doesn't stick around too long. Pretty minimal lacing.

Smell is roasty and just a little blend of woody and fruity, but that's about it.

tasty is pretty much malty, a combination of earthy, almost bordering on cardboardy breadiness, followed by a bitterish finish, almost spicy like cinnamon, but with out the corresponding flavor.

Mouthfeel is pretty light in body and rather 'active'.

Overall not a bad beer but certainly not the greatest winter warmer either. Worth trying each year perhaps, but I'm not sure I'd get more than a bottle each time.